This year’s annual Rotary of Estes Park Duck Race — a huge event that has supported local charities in Colorado’ Estes Valley since 1989 — gets underway May 3 at Nicky’s Restaurant (just alongside the Fall River in downtown Estes Park, Colo.), and is highlighted by thousands of rubber duckies floating across the finish line on the Big Thompson River near Rockwell Street.
This event presents a fantastic opportunity for parents, supporters and fans of Eagle Rock to raise money for a great school-related cause, with $19 of every $20 “duck adoption” ticket going directly to Eagle Rock’s Graduate Fund. That’s about 95 percent of the proceeds, and it’s all made possible because Rotary volunteers like our own Jeff Liddle run the Duck Race, which keeps the costs low.
Last year we raised $8,222 through the sale of these yellow rubber river racers, and we’d like to exceed $10,000 this year. While the major enticement is, of course, to raise funds for Eagle Rock students, Race Day also provides participants with plenty of excitement, music and entertainment, and prizes.
Here’s how it works:
- You, the Eagle Rock supporter, ‘adopt’ as many ducks as you can afford at just $20 per duck by visiting EPDuckRace.org.
- Then, on Saturday, the 3rd of May, all of the ducks – including the ones you adopt – are dumped in the river at approximately 1pm MST
- The fastest ducks to the finish line win the prizes (and there are lots of prizes to be won).
- Not to worry because you do NOT need to be present to win!
As we said, there are lots of prizes to be won. The Estes Park Duck Race is well known for its generous and plentiful prizes, with Rotary officials claiming there’s about a one-in-nine-chance of walking away with something donated by Estes Park merchants. We’re talking big prizes here, including:
- Samsung 6300 Series 50″ Class LED Smart TV
- Apple iPad Air with Wi-Fi 64GB
- Samsung® HT-F5500W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System
- PlayStation 3 250GB Move Bundle
- Xbox® 360 4GB Sports and Adventures Kinect Bundle
- Canon PowerShot HS 12.1MP Digital Camera
- APEX LE3242 32″ LED 60Hz HDTV
- Fitbit Force Activity Wristband
- And lots more!
Each ticket you purchase from the Duck Race Website or directly from someone who works here at Eagle Rock goes a long way toward supporting past and future Eagle Rock graduates in their pursuit of higher education. Our Graduate Fund was first established back in 1997, and to date we’ve awarded more than $788,000 to deserving students.
In fact, each and every one of our graduates is eligible for up to $14,000 toward the cost of undergraduate and post-graduate education, which gives them an enormous boost when it comes to furthering their education. And as we continue to feed the Graduate Fund, the amount awarded each graduate will increase.
Here’s how you can adopt your own gaggle of ducks:
- Visit www.epduckrace.org and feel free to purchase as many tickets as you can afford, making sure to name Eagle Rock School as the recipient of your duck race adoption!
- If you order online, you’ll find a box that states “To credit your student seller, enter their name here.” We want to credit the person who contacted you and sold you the ticket, so please type the name of the student or staff member in that box.
- Also, when ordering online, please be sure to click “Eagle Rock School” from the drop down menu.
If you prefer to pay by check, please send it to:
2014 Duck Race
c/o Eagle Rock School
2750 Notaiah Road
Estes Park, Colorado 80517
A third option would be to purchase tickets over the phone with a credit or debit call. Call Patricia Jobst at Eagle Rock at (970) 586-7158 to make your purchase by phone.
It’s rare that a charity chooses to share the wealth to the tune of 95% like Rotary of Estes Park does, so don’t be shy… ask your family and friends to participate as well.
Pingback: It’s #GivingTuesday and Eagle Rock is the Perfect Recipient for Your Gift - Eagle Rock Blog