Eagle Rock School & Professional Development Center (PDC) is seeking a music & performance instructional specialist who can help high school students committed to engaging themselves in their own education build confidence and express themselves — sometimes before an audience — through music and performance.
In addition to leading our school’s music program, our next Music & Performance Instructional Specialist will be asked to deliver innovative curriculum and oversee student theatrical performances. Specifically, we’re searching for someone with a number of advanced skills, including vocal technique; piano (the ability to play contemporary and popular music, improvise over chord changes and read written music); music theory and ear training; American contemporary and popular music performance; teach voice, piano, guitar, bass, and drums; as well as direct a theater production team.
Our best candidates for this unique opening will also have a basic understanding of technical theater (lighting design, sound design, set construction, props, and costumes); be able to teach non-Western music (knowledge of Latin music and ability to speak Spanish is a plus); and be able to instruct students on basic digital music and sound recording software.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Direct vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Direct the annual winter musical.
- Coordinate our school’s relationship with Berklee City Music Network (BCMN) — including sending two students toBCMN’s summer program — and attending — the Berklee’s annual City Music conference.
- Coordinate daily music gathering performances and perform with students.
- Supervise student chores in music building; manage musical instrument inventory, manage theatrical equipment.
- Develop and maintain department budget.
- Co-mentor and supervise a Public Allies teaching fellow each year.
And of course, if you know anything about us, you know that our next music and performance instructor must be a team player. Here at Eagle Rock, our staff works together to develop empowering, relevant learning experiences for students, setting them up for success in college, career, and their communities. We care about each other’s success, too, and we work hard to constantly innovate. We are committed to our students, and through that experience, contributing to progressive secondary school reform efforts across the country.
If you haven’t had a chance yet, visit our website (www.eaglerockschool.org) to get a better feel for both our school and Professional Development Center.
To apply for the position, candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Music or related degree(s); masters preferred.
- Teaching experience in models such as expeditionary learning, deeper learning, and other progressive/critical models.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively both in the classroom and out with other staff.
- Experience working with diverse adolescents including a mix of LGBTQ students; students from low-income backgrounds; and students from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds all of whom have not been served in traditional educational settings.
While there is no application deadline, we will begin phone interviews in early March, followed by on-site interviews later in March, until the position is filled. The start date for our next Music & Performance Instructional Specialist is Aug. 31, and an earlier start date is possible.
For a complete job description, including a rundown of responsibilities in the areas of student support, school-wide involvement, and more, please visit the Music & Performance Instructional Specialist employment listing on our website. On a related note (pun intended), if our Music & Performance opening isn’t for you but you like the approach we take here at Eagle Rock and are interested in learning about other job openings, please visit the employment section of our website, where all of our current employment listings may be found.
Notice: Undefined variable: commenter in /home/ers2015/public_html/blog/wp-content/themes/eaglerockschool/functions.php on line 337